“I think that’s very nice,” Mr. Boal said.
“But I would like to have a mirror with some magic properties in which we could, if we don’t like the image that we have in front of us,
would allow us to penetrate into the mirror and transform our image and then come back with our image transformed.”

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Boal & Freire

Over many years, Boal continued to strengthen his relationship with liberatory educator, Paulo Freire, author of the acclaimed Pedagogy of the Oppressed. At the Second Annual Pedagogy of the Oppressed Conference in Omaha in March 1996, both men appeared together on a public platform to reflect on liberatory education and to answer questions from an audience of around one thousand people. Because of their several necessary flights for personal and family safety during the 1960's - 1980's, this co-appearance was the first time Augusto Boal and Paulo Freire shared a common public stage.

Paulo Freire was a major influence on Boal’s teachings. He and Freire became close in later years. When Freire died, Boal said "I am very sad. I have lost my last father. Now all I have are brothers and sisters". Boal is also known to quote the famous play Hamlet by Shakespeare, in which the playwright explains (through Hamlet the character) that theater is like a mirror that reflects our virtues and defects equally. Although Boal find this quote beautiful, he likes to think of theater as a mirror in which one can reach in to change reality, to transform it.

Sadly, Paulo Freire passed away in early May, 1997. Said Boal:
"I am very sad. I have lost my last father. Now all I have are brothers and sisters."

No comments:

Post a Comment